Wednesday 11 April 2018

My first IPL match and the Fan boy moment that was just meant to be !

My first IPL match was a roller coaster ride. It started almost disastrously and ended up being the moment of my life. CSK was back after two years for the first time in Chennai, yesterday. Just to live the occasion, I wanted to be there badly. I did get the tickets to watch with my friends. But I ended up being late to the match due to some unavoidable circumstances.

  I settled along with them during the 7th over of KKR innings, as they had been in early. After a few minutes, my friend told me that the room next to us is the commentary box. I was like "Yea ok. that's great". An over later, I heard a voice on TV commentary. The one I would listen on any given day or time and the one I dearly hold, believe and love to the core. Then I was like, "Is this man next door?". 

 When you realize that the person whom you look up to in your life is in the next door, that feeling goes unexplained. I got no words to describe that. From that minute, I just couldn't be seated. I kept pestering my friend."Is the commentary box next door? Will he be there? Can I get a glimpse?? Seriously is it the next room?". Then to check myself I went and saw the board “English commentary box" and the glass door was blurred.

 I searched for notebooks and papers in all my pockets which I knew I never had. Still, I searched. Then out comes an IPL official and I asked if he can get an autograph on the ticket for me. He said no. It disappointed me. I came back and sat for a while without involving much in the match. As the first inning came to close, we went out for food. And all the while I was just staring at that door, just to see if I can get through the gap to get a sight of him.

  As we finished our dinner, my friends called me back to the seats. I couldn't give up, wanted to try once more. So I waited out and saw another officer who came out of the room and I asked him the same. He said "No", I replied "I won’t come or ask anything, can you just get it signed by him?" with a babyface. Him- "He is actually having his dinner", me-"okay I can wait". Then there was a wait for 4 overs after which he was on the air. So I had to wait another 4 overs now.

   All this while, I was preparing myself in various aspects, hoping that I might be called inside the commentary box. During this time I had seen glimpses of KP inside and Pommie Mbangwa as well. KP even once walked out with all urgency murmuring some good words. I prepared myself concerning body language, what should I say to whom, and how to start talking to him and what is the stuff I have to tell him. I knew this was the least possible thing that would happen. I knew I was panicking and my heartbeat was well high over the range. I could feel that. Yet I was preparing.

   As time passed by, that fellow saw me being so persistent, he brought the official whom I had asked earlier. He asked what is it about and I told him again. He said " They are busy now. Sorry". Gutted me, went back to my friends and started watching the match as Sam Billings was setting it up for CSK. Though I had it in my back head, I almost came to the conclusion that it's not gonna happen.

  During the second time out, my mates called for restroom and I went in for company. As we were mocking around and I turned back to wash my hands off, I saw a guy cross over. I and my friend had this look at each other, "Isn't that him?" I turn back again to look over and Yess! That was him. I caught up with tachycardia all of a sudden. I ran around searching for paper, then took a pen from the registration desk and waited outside the restroom. Mathew Hayden passed by politely denying a selfie for a couple of fans.

  I ran to my friend and took his mobile, as mine was already dead. He comes out and poses for the two who waited first. The lighting was poor and as one of them calls him outside the corridor "Let’s take it here, please. If people see one camera out then everybody will want one and it will be difficult then" he replied. 

  As it is I was embarrassed to block him out of the restroom. Hearing him say so, made me go worse. I have no idea what happened. Having a pen and ticket in one hand and a phone in other, Hands shivering and me panicking like any, I blabbered hesitantly, "Sir, one autograph please!". He saw me in such state, called me near and put a hand on my back and said "It's okay. Come closer. Take one no problem". 

  With all those poor lighting and hands shivering, knowing that I don't have much time as he is in a hurry, I made the dumbest face possible unknowingly and clicked one. I had so much to say him. Yet nothing came out but air. I blabbered again "Sir, one autograph please!". He patted on my back twice and said "Am sorry. It's getting late already. I have to go." I knew I couldn't hold him for long and said "Thank you sir" which only heard to me as I stood there. 

  What I have done here. All I wanted to say, all that preparation I did vanish away for those two minutes. All I had to say him was "Sir, This is and will always remain the fanboy moment of my life". I couldn't utter a word, yet I knew it was the one. That was surreal. I came back to my friends all smiles and was just staring the ground for a while. I just kept smiling and my friends knew what it meant to me. Thanks to them for this. 

  All I felt was that moment was just meant to be. After the way I got to the match, that was the last thing I can expect to happen, yet it did. Then with some fan rivalry around we got along with the match and eventually, Chennai won it like they always do - Dramatically.

  We can never really express how it feels when we love someone for what we think they are and then to realize, that they are actually the way we love them for in reality. I will continue to love him and try to replicate it in my own way. My love for this man Harsha Bhogle just scaled new peaks. Off all that happened the other night, that moment which hasn't sunk in yet with all the hyper effects on me still on high was The Fanboy moment of my lifetime.



1 comment:

  1. Loved reading it. Got the feels. :)
    Today is another big day I am sure. One step closer. Hoping you take a few more steps very quickly, and finally get to work with him.

    ReplyDelete